CollegeMontana Grizzlies


Montana leads Southeastern Louisiana at halftime in 2nd round of FCS playoffs

Griz football 3.jpg
Posted at 2:53 PM, Dec 07, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-07 17:00:31-05

MISSOULA -- The Montana Grizzlies lead the Southeastern Louisiana Lions 38-21 at halftime of their second-round playoff game at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Quarterback Dalton Sneed has completed 19 of 26 passes for 273 yards and three touchdowns. Receiver Samori Toure has seven receptions for 167 yards and one score. Running back Marcus Knight has seven carries for 28 yards and one score and has also caught two passes for 18 yards and one more touchdown.

Southeastern Louisiana struck first, as the Lions used an 11-play drive that went 75 yards in the first 5 minutes, 33 seconds. Lion quarterback Chason Virgil capped the drive with a 29-yard pass to Javon Conner, who broke a tackle on his way to the end zone.

However, Montana responded immediately. Sneed found Toure down the middle for a 62-yard touchdown on Montana's first play from scrimmage to even the game up.

Southeastern Louisiana drove down the field on its second drive but on fourth-and-8 the Lions opted to go for it, and Montana held after Dareon Nash broke up Virgil's pass attempt.

Brandon Purdy connected on a 32-yard field goal to give Montana a 10-7 lead with 1:20 left in the first quarter.

Montana found the end zone again on a 4-yard touchdown run from Knight with 9:34 to play in the first half. That came after Montana opted to go for it on fourth-and-6 from SLU's 20-yard line, where Sneed hit Toure for a 16-yard gain.

Then, Sneed found Mitch Roberts for a 15-yard touchdown with 4:47 left in the half. For Roberts, a Missoula Sentinel High product, it was his first career touchdown reception with the Grizzlies. Roberts has six catches for 63 yards and the score so far.

SLU got back into the end zone when Virgil found tight end Bransen Schwebel for a 12-yard score with 2:05 left in the half. But once again, Montana responded immediately, as Malik Flowers took the ensuing kickoff back 81 yards for a touchdown. It was Flowers' second touchdown return of the season.

Virgil found Conner again with just over a minute to go for a 52-yard score that made it 31-21. Then Sneed connected with Knight on a 7-yard score with eight seconds remaining in the half to make it 38-21 Montana.