(Editor's note: BSSG release)
BILLINGS - The Big Sky State Games are still on target for a July 17-19 weekend with a handful of tweaks to abide by COVID-19 guidlines. registration opening today, June 1. Most events will be held in Billings, though locations and divisions may change at any time.
The Big Sky State Games is working to balance competitive drive, healthy sport, and personal responsibility for the 2020 events. Thus, the organization has followed the Governor’s Directive for Phase 2 of the reopening of Montana, the guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and consultation with the Yellowstone City-County Health Department and RiverStone Health when planning the Big Sky State Games events. However, it is important that participants and spectators realize it is their responsibility for keeping themselves safe by adhering to the guidelines.
The majority of the sports offered by the Big Sky State Games have a July 1 registration and t-shirt deadline. Early sign up by July 1 is encouraged to ensure the best price.
Please refer to the sport pages at bigskygames.org for updated information and registration. All ages and abilities are invited to participate.
Events that fall outside the main State Games weekend include (all Billings locations unless noted):
· *Changes due to COVID-19* Basketball will be held in conjunction with the Big Sky Ballin’, Above the Rim 3 on 3 basketball tournament August 8-9 at the Shrine Auditorium parking lot.
· *Changes due to COVID-19* Volleyball will be outside in a grass format. Grass Quads will be held July 17-19 and Doubles/Triples July 25 at Rose Park.
· *Changes due to COVID-19* Ice Hockey has moved to a summer event August 21-23.
· Archery, June 27-28, at Blue Creek Sport Shooting Complex.
· Equestrian Horse and Pony Show, July 11 -12, at MetraPark.
· Summer Biathlon and Mountain Bike Biathlon, July 12, at Crosscut Mountain Sports Center near Bozeman.
· Swimming, July 10-12, at Helena- Not confirmed at this time.
· Golf Juniors Individual, July 13, at Lake Hills Golf Course.
· Shooting 5 –Stand, Sporting Clays, Skeet, July 11-12, at Blue Creek Sport Shooting Complex.
· Shooting Cowboy Action and Wild Bunch, July 25-26 at Billings Rod & Gun Club.
· New Sports joining the weekend of the Big Sky State Games include: Speed Climbing, July 18, at Steepworld
General guidelines for the Big Sky State Games:
1. Do not compete or spectate if you are sick; stay home and out of public places.
2. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before and after competing and/or spectating at an event.
3. Maintain 6’ physical distancing while spectating.
4. Some events, by their nature, do not allow physical distancing; understand the inherent risks of entering this event.
5. Wear a cloth mask when at indoor events as a spectator.
6. Wear a cloth mask when required in a few of the BSSG events. Other times, feel free to wear a cloth mask for any event.