Montana StationsKPAX


Dickinson State loses heart-breaker in NAIA Quarterfinals

Posted at 3:23 PM, Nov 24, 2018


SALINA, Kan. – Demarco Prewitt scored his third touchdown of the day with 46 seconds remaining to give the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes a 43-40 win over Dickinson State Saturday in the NAIA Quarterfinals.

Prewitt’s score capped a 16-play, 75-yard drive that took 6:49 off the clock. Takoda Anderson intercepted Blue Hawks quarterback Hayden Gibson three plays later to seal the victory.

The game was a one-possession contest for all 60 minutes. Prewitt opened the scoring with a 54-yard TD run early in the first quarter, but Dickison State responded with a 72-yard TD pass from Gibson to Tyger Frye, a Billings Senior alum who set the Blue Hawks’ single-season receptions record two weeks ago. He is one of 27 Montanans on the Blue Hawks’ traveling roster.

After another Coyote touchdown, Dickinson running back Amad Andrews scored on back-to-back possessions in the second quarter to give the Blue Hawks their first lead of the game, 21-14. Kansas Wesleyan tied it at 21-21 with 33 seconds remaining in the half, but Gibson drove 68 yards in four plays, connecting with Jay Liggins on a six-yard TD pass on the final play of the quarter to give Dickinson State a 28-21 lead at halftime.

The teams traded third quarter touchdowns, though Dickinson State missed the PAT on theirs, giving the Blue Hawks a 34-28 lead heading into the fourth. The Coyotes regained the lead at 35-34 early in the final period, before Gibson hit Frye for their second TD connection to put Dickinson back on top 40-35 with 7:35 to play.

Frye finished with five catches for 159 yards and the two scores. Gibson was 22-30 for 380 yards and four TD’s.

Prewitt carried the Coyotes, rushing for 185 yards on 34 carries. Kansas Wesleyan outgained Dickinson 495-431, with both teams turning the ball over one time.

Kansas Wesleyan advances to the NAIA Semifinals, set for Dec. 1. Their opponent will be announced later Saturday night.