BILLINGS – Postponements and cancellations are turning into the norm this early spring for high school sports events in and around the Billings area. Several more scheduled for Thursday and Friday are called off due to steady rain and expected snowfall, according to School District 2 activities director Mark Wahl and Billings Central activities director Richie Powell.
Wahl issued the following email Thursday:
“Based on our current weather and the forecast for Friday, the softball games between Bozeman and Billings West scheduled for this afternoon (Thursday) have been postponed. As soon as we reschedule we will let you know.”
Wahl added this in regard to weekend tennis action:
“We do not feel that we will have adequate weather and court conditions to play on Friday. We have decided to cancel Friday’s portion of the Billings Invitational Tennis Tournament. We will make a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning call on whether or not we feel we can play a revised schedule on Saturday. Bozeman, Great Falls and Glendive, please let us know if you would be willing to attend on Saturday, if we determine we can play. My best guess right now is that we will be able to play on Saturday. I’m just not sure how early we will be able to get started. If we have enough interest, we will do our best to schedule at least 2 rounds.”
“Due to the cancellation of the Billings Invitational Tennis Tournament Friday, we will reschedule our Billings Triangular, originally scheduled on March 29, for tomorrow on the indoor courts at the ELKS club from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.”
Glendive has already responded with interest to play Saturday.
Wahl held off on predicting the weather outcome for Saturday’s Invitational track and field meet scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m.
Below are the previously scheduled Thursday-Saturday events in Billings:
Thursday, April 12
– Softball: Bozeman at West – GAMES PLAYED AT STEWART PARK – 3, 5 p.m., JV and Varsity
Friday, April 13
– Tennis: Billings Invitational – 10:00 a.m. – Teams include: Senior, Skyview, West, Central, GFH, CMR, Bozeman, Glendive
– Softball: Butte at Senior – Central Park – 3:00 and 5:00 – JV and Varsity
Saturday, April 14
– Tennis: Billings Invitational – 8:00 a.m.
– Track: Billings Invitational – 9:30 a.m. – Teams Include: Senior, Skyview, West, Central, Cody, Colstrip, Miles City, Glendive, Fergus, Forsyth, Hardin, Huntley Project, Laurel, Plenty Coups, Red Lodge, Roundup, Shepherd, Sidney, Thunder Basin – Gillette, Wyo.
– Softball: Senior at Great Falls High – 12, 2 p.m. – JV and Varsity
– Softball: Butte at West – 11 a.m., 1 p.m. – (Ben Steele Middle School), JV and Varsity
Meantime, Billings Central A.D. Richie Powell released the following information regarding Rams softball:
“The game with Laurel on Thursday, April 12, has been moved to Monday, April 16, at Ben Steele, 5:00 p.m. The game originally scheduled with Fergus that day has been cancelled.
Central’s game scheduled with Glendive on Friday, April 13, will be cancelled and rescheduled as a double header at Glendive on Saturday, April 28.”
The following tweet was also posted by Huntley Project’s Twitter account:
“We have cancelled the softball games for tomorrow, Friday, in Lewistown and we will wait to see what the weather brings for Saturday. A decision will be made tomorrow for Saturday’s games with an updated schedule.”
Shepherd High School’s Twitter account posted that the Joliet invite track meet at Columbus on Friday has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.