CollegeFrontier Conference


Buzzer beating three lifts Montana Tech men over Providence in second half of postponed game

Posted at 10:54 PM, Jan 18, 2018

(Argo Athletics Release)

GREAT FALLS, Mont. – The completion of a game that started on January 8, didn’t go as planned for the University of Providence. Playing just the second half of a game that was postponed at halftime two weeks earlier due to equipment issues, the Argos fell victim to a game-winning three with 2 seconds left in a 70-67 loss to Montana Tech.

UP started the 20 minutes played on the night was a 33-31 lead earned during the first haft that was played on the 6th. For the first 10 minutes, the Argos mostly held on to that slim advantage, fluctuating between a 1 and 5 point lead.

A 3-point field goal from the Oredigger’s John Chapman swung the game in Tech’s favor, giving the Digger’s the lead with 9:44 on the clock. He then kept shooting and making long-range shots and with five minutes left the Argos found themselves down by 11.

Senior guard DuShaun Rice answered with 3 straight threes of his own in the final four minutes, the last of which tied the game at 67 all with 43 seconds left.

On the following possession, UP had Tech’s center trapped in a double-team near the baseline, poised for a steal when a whistle was blown. The Argos looked up, ready for a jump ball call, but instead were called for a foul. That reset the shot clock and gave Tech a chance to hold for what was essentially the last shot.

Tech inbounded the ball successfully, ran the clock down to about 8 seconds left on the game clock, swung the ball to the top of the guy, and found guard Jake Miles. Miles pulled up and hit a three to give the Diggers a 70-67 lead with 2.6 seconds left.

A last second heave from Rice did go, and UP ended with the loss.

For both teams, 3-point shooting proved to be a crucial factor, not only in the second half, also during the first half on January 6. Despite the large gap between the two halves, both teams shot a similar percentage in each half, and Tech shot exactly 50 percent from three in each period, going 6-12 in the first, and 7-14 in the second.

UP shot better from three in the second half, hitting 5-10 from distance thanks to Rice, but the team couldn’t get to the free-throw line, only shooting 2 free throws in the final 20 minutes.

Rice led the Argos in scoring, putting in 18 points, 14 of which came in the second half. He added 5 rebounds, and 3 assists to his totals.

Both of UP’s senior bigs finished close to a double-double with Steven Daho-Clark scoring 13 points with 7 rebounds, while Trayvon Bashir had 11 points with 9 rebounds.

The loss brings the Argo’s record to 8-9 (2-5) on the year, but UP will get another shot against Tech immediately, playing the Orediggers in a full contest on Friday, January 19 at 7:30 p.m.