CollegeFrontier Conference


Montana Tech wins 3rd consecutive game with shutout of MSU-Northern

Montana Tech logo
Posted at 5:19 PM, Sep 28, 2019

(Editors Note: Montana Tech athletics release)

HAVRE -- The snow did not slow down the Montana Tech momentum in Havre Saturday afternoon. With heavy coverage on the field, the Orediggers shutout the Montana State Northern Lights 42-0.

The No. 25 Orediggers drove close to the end zone on their opening drive but turned the ball over on downs in conditions that were not favorable for kicking. It was the first opening drive that have not scored on since the opening game of the season.

The second possession was another story. After a quick three-and-out by the Lights, Jet Campbell connected with Trevor Hoffman on a 47-yard strike putting the Orediggers on the board 7-0.

The quick scoring continued on Northern's next possession. Sophomore defensive lineman Jesse Sims batted a Brendan Medina pass into the air and linebacker Carter Meyers intercepted the ball. Meyers returned the ball 48 yards for second score of the game, 14-0.

The Orediggers continued to move the ball down the field. Campbell capped off a 56-yard drive carrying the ball himself across the goal line on a 30-yard scramble.

Campbell had his hand on the final score of the half as well completing a 21-yard pass to true freshman Anthony Jones. The touchdown is the first for the 6-2 receiver Flathead High School standout.

The Orediggers took a 28-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Blake Counts, also a Flathead Brave, and Tyler Folkes helped the Orediiggers control the ball on offense. Freshman Counts crossed the century mark for the first time with 23 carries and 125 yards. Counts scored in the fourth quarter for the final score of the day. Folkes rushed 13 times for 57 yards.

Hoffman had his first two-touchdown game of the year on a 7-yard touchdown from Campbell in the third. Hoffman finished with 3 catches for 61 yards.
Campbell 9 of 18 for 149 yards and three touchdowns.

The Oredigger defense held Northern to just 124 yards of total offense. The last time Montana Tech shut out an opponent was 2015 and the team was also Northern.

The defense had 7 tackles for a loss and 4 sacks. Meyers led the charge with 2 tackles for a loss and a sack. He finished the day with 7 total tackles in addition to his pick-six.

Arthur Flynn held the defensive front together in the trenches with a pair of sacks and six tackles. Sims was also a menace on the line with 5 tackles.

Defensive back Jake Orvis continued to pester opposing receivers. Orvis posted two more pass breakups and had a tackle in the backfield. He finished with 4 tackles.

Montana Tech (3-1) is resting next weekend. The Orediggers return to action against Montana Western on October 12th for Homecoming.