CollegeFrontier Conference


Carroll College women's soccer wins twice in California

Posted at 5:43 PM, Aug 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-27 19:43:25-04

(Editor's note: Carroll College media release)

HELENA -- Carroll College’s women’s soccer team defeated San Diego Christian 6-2 on Monday, concluding a two-game California road trip with a pair of wins.

“It’s nice to come down and get two wins,” Saints coach David Thorvilson said. “The heat was difficult to play in and to go back to back caused a few problems. I was happy the girls were able to score some goals and get the win.”

San Diego Christian (0-3) took a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute when Joanna Ortiz scored on a through ball from Calli Zellers.

The Saints (2-1) responded with three consecutive goals, two by Makayla Welch and one by Charly Clements. Brynn Walker assisted on the second goal while Clements assisted on the third.

The Hawks tacked on another score in the 55th minute.

Brenna Rohnkohl then added two more scores for the Saints in the 59th and 61st minutes.

“Excited to see Brenna Rohnkohl come in after some injuries in her career and score two goals in the second half and put the game away for us,” Thorvilson said.

Katie Martin rounded out the scoring in the 78th minute.

The Saints are back in action at home on Friday against MSU Billings. The start time is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Carroll College 5, Saint Katherine 1 (Sunday)

The Carroll College Saints used two goals from Makayla Welch, a pair of team scores and a goal by Katie Martin to defeat the Saint Katherine Firebirds 5-1 on Sunday in California.

“We played pretty well,” Saints coach Dave Thorvilson said. “The only goal we gave up was a penalty call midway through the second half. Really, we weren’t tested too much on that side.”

The two team scores came in the first half. On the first goal, Saints senior Taryn Neameyer went to her trusty flip throw-in, which deflected off a USK defender and into the goal.

In the 18th minute, a cross by the Saints ricocheted off Kirsten Girolami and then a USK defender to find the back of the net.

Leading 2-0, Welch added to the scoring total. Welch finished a ball from McKenna Payne to put the Saints up 3-0 in the 30th minute and then struck again in the 37th minute.

Carroll held a 4-0 lead before USK got on the board in the second half.

The Firebirds got on the board after Keely Antonio converted a penalty kick.

Martin added a goal in the 81st minute off an assist by Alexa Fries.

The Saints outshot the Firebirds 34-2 for the game.