Trevor Paro was two touchdowns away from breaking Montana's all-class touchdown record. It took the senior running back just two touches to do it - MTN Sports photo

HOT SPRINGS – Trevor Paro added six touchdowns to his record total as Hot Springs ran past Valier 58-8 in a Class C 6-Man football semifinal game on Saturday.

Paro rushed for 174 yards and four touchdowns on 16 carries. He also passed for two touchdowns in the Savage Heat’s win. Hot Springs will now travel to Westby-Grenora for the championship next week.

Saturday’s game was a rematch of a regular-season meeting which Hot Springs won 51-0. The Savage Heat were just as dominant the second time around, shutting out the Panthers’ offense. Valier’s only points came on a kickoff return for touchdown.

Paro started the scoring with a 14-yard touchdown run on Hot Springs’ first possession. On the ensuing kick, Valier’s Colton Wheeler broke free for a 60-yard touchdown.

Story continues below

But that was the only time the Panthers would find the scoreboard.

Paro added his second rushing touchdown in the second quarter and hit Kane Lawson and Sean Shea for two more scores. Shea added a second touchdown reception from Marco Degel, before Paro got his third and fourth rushing touchdowns.

Lawson also added a fumble return for touchdown, as Hot Springs kept its undefeated record intact.

Westby-Grenora 30, Bridger 19

GRENORA, N.D. – Westby-Grenora struck first against undefeated Bridger and held on for a 30-19 win in the Class C 6-Man football semifinal round on Saturday.

The Thunder advance to the 6-Man championship for the second time in co-op history with the win and will host Hot Springs in the title game. That game will be played in Plentywood, since Montana High School Association rules require a state championship be played in Montana.

Both teams started off slowly, exchanging turnovers in the opening quarter. But Westby-Grenora found some offense to build an early 14-0 lead by the end of the first quarter.

Bridger scored on the first play of the second quarter and added another long touchdown late in the half to pull within 14-12 at the break.

Kade Guenther had a long kick return to set up a Thunder touchdown to start the second half, but neither offense was able to find the scoreboard the rest of the period. Bridger scored early in the fourth quarter to pull within 22-19, and had the ball late in the quarter looking for the go-ahead touchdown.

But Westby-Grenora would put the game away with its defense, providing a fitting end to a low-scoring game. On a long fourth-down attempt, the Thunder forced a fumble and Brian Field returned it for a touchdown to give Westby-Grenora the final 30-19 margin.